|Back to Back Issues Page|
Diabetes Positive Approach, Issue #1107-- Cope with Diabetes; Live Healthy
July 05, 2011
Welcome to this month's issue where I will share with you some thoughts on changing oneís lifestyle. We already know the benefits. It makes us healthier, more energetic and happier. I know, I know, youíre sceptical and want proof. Well, I am the living proof.
There was a time I did not have the energy to do anything at all but then I saw this video of exercises and I started doing them and the rest is history. I can do more things now like the eight hours a day on this and other stuff as well. I am happier too because I am challenged to help others get what they want.
That was the beginning of the end of my negative attitude and negative response. And this is what I want to happen to you. Not to settle for less than you deserve because you are worth every success you can get for you are born to win.
In This Issue:
Worst Foods to Avoid
1. Avoid foods with trans fat. How do we do that? ItĎs simple, just avoid processed foods like frozen meals, chips, candies and cake mixes. Also try not to use vegetable shortenings and margarine unless they are trans fat-free.
3. Stay away from white bread; eat whole grains instead. Thereís more nutrition in whole grains and fibre as well. This will keep you feeling full longer. Be careful though because packaging could be misleading. Some say they are wheat breads but in reality they do not contain whole wheat. How can we make sure? Check if it shows up at the start of the list of ingredients. Each slice should at least have two grams of fibre.
4. Full-fat version of yogurt and milk should also be avoided. What? Youíre surprised, arenít you? I donít blame you because we have been taught since childhood that they are good. Yes, they are good but only if they are the fat-free variety. If you think youíre going to die without a sweet drink, then just drink one cup of orange juice a day.
5. Avoid alcohol not only because it does not go together with weight loss but also alcohol and diabetes do not mix. Remember our main mission is to avoid complications and avoiding alcohol can help accomplish this along with eating healthy and moving more and maintaining a tight blood sugar control.
In connection with the worst food to avoid you may want to check out Dr. AtkinĎs Revolution Diet. Hereís what some have to say about this book.
Dr. Atkinís diet is meant to catapult the body into fat meltdown. This diet targets the insulin which is the hormone that controls the blood glucose levels. Most of those who overeat are constantly in a hyperinsulinism state making their bodies expert at releasing insulin to help change the extra carbs to fat to the point thereís too much insulin flowing through the body.
Most of the time we fail at exercising because we do not have a good enough reason to do it. Think about what you care about the most and perhaps that will become a motivating factor to spur you to exercise regularly.
Studies have found that those with strong personal and emotional motivation succeed the most. Here are ten reasons; pick one and let that be the most important thing in your life. That will be the one that will inspire you to keep your exercise routine.
1. Fight diabetes and the risk to develop the complications. Thirty minutes a day of exercises is nothing compared to what we have to do when we develop the complications. We will have to spend ten times more than that!
2. Look better. Exercise firms the body and makes one have a better posture. And I donít know what it is in exercise but there is no denying that it gives the skin a glow.
3. Lose weight and maintain that loss by keeping on with the exercise. Get the exercise routine that is enjoyable and doable.
4. Youíre sick a lot. You easily catch cold. Those who exercise regularly are known to have better immunity.
5. Feel better instead of feeling tired all the time. Before the day is over, you are tired. Research has proven that exercise can make one feel better.
6. Feel younger and slow down the aging process. Exercising is an effective way to stave off diseases that are related to old age. It also prevents loss of muscle and bone. Nowadays it looks like exercise can protect one from dementia, memory loss and other loss of cognitive functions.
7. Get rid of the pain in the joint. Exercise, the right ones at least, strengthens the muscles around the joints that have been damaged thus reducing the pain of rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis.
8. Sleep better at night. Exercise has been shown to make one sleep better at night. I know; it seems contra-indicated but it is true. Although exercise in energizing, it can tire one out but in my experience getting tired is only while exercising. Right after it, you feel more energetic.
9. Get rid of a bad back. Gone are the days when the prescription for a bad back is to avoid exercising. They know better now that the best thing to do is to move. But of course you know your limits and exercise accordingly.
10. You love someone and want to be there for him. When you exercise and feel better, you can be around longer for the people you love.
11. Travel more. This is the one that spurred me into action. A decade ago, traveling from Toronto to New Brunswick made me so tired that I knew that would be my last trip. But then I saw a TV with someone exercising to the music and I followed it along and downloaded it and did it everyday and found I could travel more. Last year, believe it or not, I even went around the world. Now I can go anywhere as long as I have my computer with me.
So now I challenge you to find your own motivation. Letís stop making excuses like I did before. I said I didnít have time but look at what happened when I didnít exercise, I ended not having enough time because I was always tired and couldnít do my chores.
There are a millions of excuses that we should get rid off and not it let stand in our way. What to do is to make it less of a chore. I did it when I recorded the exercise routine on TV so now as soon as I wake up I just slide that into my TV and exercise. It cannot be any simpler than that. I donít have to dress up and go the gym. If my leg is hurting, I exercise the other leg.
And if both legs are hurting, I exercise my arms. I have two heavy books one on each hand and raise each arm alternately. Itís good to firm up the muscles and optimize whatever amount of insulin is left my body can produce. Now I no longer use books. My husband saw me doing these, laughed and bought me two five-pound dumb bells. Why they are called dumb bells I will never know because in my book they are smart bells.
So there are no obstacles one cannot work on for itís better to exercise no matter what because the consequence of not doing it is worse. Mind you, check with your doctor the type of exercise your body needs. Then once you are used to this you can graduate to the three types of exercise to make you really fit which an acclaimed exercise guru suggested.
One type is strength training on a variety of exercises using weights or machines that work the different muscle groups like the back, arms, shoulders legs and abdomen. Donít be like me because I only work the first three muscle groups with the weights. Thatís probably why my abdomen is getting bigger. The culprit? This and my penchant for buffets. Help, give me some suggestions, will you please?
The second type of exercise for optimum fitness is aerobic (cardio) exercise. This I do not have a problem because I do aerobics every day but I combine it with strength training, the book you remember that is now dumb bells? Okay I lied; I do have a problem with this for the simple reason I can only spare half an hour of this every day which is just the starting point because I am supposed to have graduated already to doing 75 minutes five times a week.
The last group of exercises for optimum fitness is doing crunches, stretches and resistance exercises but again I do this in combination with my aerobic and strength training exercises, all for thirty minutes a day. I really force myself to do the stretches and crunches because if I donĎt do them, my joints tell me rather shouts at me with such pain that as soon as I do the stretches and crunches, I am friends again with my joints.
3. A Success Quotation of the Month
ďPeople are unreasonable, illogical and self-centered. Love them anyway.
If you do good, people will accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives. Do good anyway.
If you are successful, you will win false friends and true enemies. Succeed anyway.
The good you do today will be forgotten tomorrow. Do good anyway.
Honesty and frankness make you vulnerable. Be honest and frank anyway.
The biggest person with the biggest ideas can be shot down by the smallest person with the smallest mind. Think big anyway.
What you spend years building may be destroyed overnight. Build anyway.
People really need help but may attack if you help them. Help people anyway.
Give the world the best you have and you might get kicked in the teeth.
Give the world the best you've got anyway.Ē
Dr. Kent M. Keith
4. And hereís the dessert recipe we promised you.
5. Let's laugh together at this joke even if it's not funny. Laughing will help get us healthy.
Husband and Wife
Wife: Love, it used to be you always kiss me in my neck.
Husband: Thatís right, sorry dear.
Wife: Well, how come you no longer do it?
Husband: Because back then you still had a neck.
6. Do you have a question or comment for the team?
Drop us a line at our contact form and write your questions or comment there.
"Can diet and exercise actually reverse type 2 diabetes as I have heard and read?"
Answer: Research has shown that changing oneís lifestyle of eating healthy and moving more have prevented the onset of diabetes. Making such changes will definitely help you manage your diabetes better. It may even allow you to lower your medication dose.
The most important diabetes management you can do is to optimize whatever insulin your body can manufacture. Exercising regularly for at least 30 minutes a day of moderate to energetic activity and healthy eating habits that include fruits and vegetables and whole grains and avoiding refined carbohydrates will go a long way to help.
With the proper lifestyle choices, it is easier to manage the blood glucose and perhaps reduce the need for medications even if it does not reverse the diabetes. And the most important thing of all is to avoid the complications. This in my book is the most important benefit one can have from eating healthy and being physically active.
7. Got something to say? Please write down your questions and comments in the contact form in our website.
Thank you for being a subscriber of Diabetes Positive Approach, ! Some work so hard at controlling their blood sugar level and still not achieve it. I get desperate and am turning to the secret to see if some of us can be helped too. After all some great men have been helped.
Religions have talked about this and delivered it through their writings and stories. So you see, the law of attraction started from the very beginning of time so we might as well use it to our advantage. I will show you how as we proceed with this newsletter.
Roger and Evelyn Guzman
Know somebody who'd like to read this? Please forward it to your
family, friends, coworkers, and anyone else that you think might need or enjoy it. Thank you for your help and support.
|Back to Back Issues Page|